Saturday, October 20, 2007

trouble in paradise

well, i think paradise is a strong word for the rainy, dismal, capital city of costa rica at the moment... the "green" season (aka the rainy season) has really been doing it's thing the past week or so. kind of miserable. but that's not what i'm talking about....

so a while ago this panamanian guy moved into what i had previously thought to be a closet just off our kitchen. there was basically a single bed and a dresser in there and that's it. recently the guy living in my old room moved out. and i guess the landlord decided that the panamanian would move in there (they're friends or something - they know each other somehow, i can't quite figure it out). whatever.

there was a little incident the other week on one of my non-sleeping nights (normally i'm a champion sleeper, but every 4 months or so i have a night where i just can't - it catches up with me) where his "girlfriend" stayed over (i'm not really sure on the status of the relationship, but they do have a child together) and they were up all night - talking, listening to music, arguing, etc - all of which i can easily hear in my room. i was slightly annoyed, but i couldn't sleep anyway, so i didn't get too upset about it.

well. last night. a little before 5 in the morning he comes back - clearly from being out all night - with two friends. i was definitely sleeping this time. then they're talking and laughing... and i'm kind of thinking you've got to be kidding me. we have a massive living room *and* outdoor area - both of which are on the other side of the house. a few minutes later i hear our other roommate come out of his room and basically tell them to be quiet. so they were quieter, but like i said - i can hear everything. so they're still up and talking and listening to music - albeit much quieter. but still i have to bury my head under my pillows to get back to sleep.

anyway. this morning (okay, mid-morning) i get up and go out to the kitchen to make myself a cup of tea and something to eat. and i notice part of a wrapper of some sort sticking out of my cupboards. i open the door and there's my brand new bag of tortilla chips - nearly gone. i notice a fork on the counter covered with refried beans. and what do you know - they're gone too. in the fridge my new package of salsa is ripped open and half gone. (lots of things come in little plastic packages... it's hard to explain - i'll do a pictorial sometime) at this point i'm starting to get mad.

but being the pacifist that i am i don't go banging on his door to yell at him (plus he hardly speaks any english and i know that my spanish cannot convey anger). instead i get myself ready to go to school. i make a bilingual sign which i tape over the doors of my cupboard -
please don't eat my food!!
¡no coma por favor mi alimento!
and i leave a post-it note on the panamanians door:
a las 4 o 5 en la mañana ¡callado por favor! puedo oír TODO
(at 4 or 5 in the morning please shut up! i can hear everything)

apparently it had the desired effect. when i got home from school tonight my landlord was in the living room (this is not weird, he lives upstairs and stops down sometimes) and he asked me if i was upset about last night. and i said, yeah, a little. he assured me that it wouldn't happen again, or the panamanian would be leaving, and that he was sorry. so we'll see how that goes... i kind of feel like i'm living in the real world house or something. anyway, just wanted to vent a little.

No comments: