Saturday, September 24, 2005

packed like sardines

so my trip started off well enough. i was sent to a short line for check in, since i was only taking carry-on baggage. i sat, had a sandwich and some laughs with my family. i made it through the security checkpoints with the expected amount of hassle. but once i got beyond that i saw the mass of people standing by my gate. well not just my gate, but 4 gates all mashed together with not enough seats. but whatever, i stood. the announcement came on at the time we were supposed to board that our plane had just landed, and so it would be a few minutes more until we could get on. and then we got on...

the rows were 2-4-2 and i found that seat 'E' (which sounded good- like a window) was actually one of the inner middle section seats. and our flight was PACKED. not an empty seat in the house. and as someone who has been on a number of trans-atlantic flights, i can say with some authority that that *rarely* happens. in fact, never in my experience. but the food was okay. i got to watch a french movie called le demon de midi and madagascar. i also managed to doze (not actually sleep) for nearly 2 hours.

we arrived only about 10 minutes late in paris, at about 6:35, where i was to transfer to a 7:15 flight to madrid. so i quickly made my way towards the terminal transfer bus (that sounds morbid, but i think you know what i mean...). i waited a couple of minutes there, as there were many people trying to transfer. when we finally reached the proper terminal (which conveniently was the last stop before coming full circle) we all rushed upstairs to find a security checkpoint. a giant mob was formed in front of 4 booths to check passports and boarding passes. i somehow got in the wrong line, and ended up waiting nearly 20 minutes to get through.

thinking i was nearly there, i imagined myself just making my flight - being that last person to race onto the plane, no waiting. but as i made my way towards my gate i began passing what seemed to be a mile long line for another security check. i got about halfway up the line before i realized i was supposed to be in it. (i sneakily started chatting to two girls who were also running far too late and then stood behind them). i kept checking my watch, and checking and checking. and then it kind of hit me, i was definitely *not* making my flight.

after 45 minutes in that second security check i was in - FINALLY. i made my way to my gate, which was no longer actually my gate, and asked where i needed to go. the woman directed me to the transfer desk where there was - surprise! - a long line of people who had missed their transfers. i was eventually put on a flight scheduled to leave at 9:40. c'est la vie. or whatever you say in spanish (esta vida or something....)

on that flight i finally had some space and was finally able to get a little shut-eye, but not much. an hour and a half later i was in madrid. where there seemed to be no security whatsoever. i exited the plane and made my way towards the exit. no one wanted to see my landing card. no one wanted to check my baggage. in fact no one seemed to be checking anyones baggage. i got some cash and made my way to the metro. there a man was waving everyone through... gratis, gratis...

and finally i'm here. at my hostel. i've taken a shower. i've changed my clothes. and i'm starving!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Annie you made it good. Travel never seems to go as planned. But that's ok cause your on vaction. I realize the comment section isn't really for emails, so check your yahoo account I'm writting you an email. Love ya, have fun. -Meg

venus523 said...

no, it never goes as planned. i started to freak out when i was rushing to try to make my plane... then i realized "i'm on vacation". now, coming home could be a different story...

Anonymous said...

Sounds like your favorite pastime is afternoon naps!! Drink a larger coffe in the morning, I mean early afternoon when you wake-up :)....... Have fun!! George