Sunday, November 05, 2006

yes i am the highly suggestible type

so last night as i was preparing to cook myself some mini-cheese quesadillas in the hostel kitchen the guy from the front desk came out and said those magic words i've been waiting to hear "your luggage is here". so fabulous. so now i have all my stuff - and an extra toiletries that i bought before the bag showed up. plus the mini-cheese quesadillas were fabulous and then we all watched LOTR the two towers.

this morning i slept late (sort of - at least i wasn't waking up all through the night trying to make sure i didn't miss my morning bus like i did the night before) and then went out in search of some breakfast. i was pretty proud of myself - i ordered and conversed with the waitress *all in spanish*. here's our conversation:

chica: que quiere?
me: gallo pinto con huevos (this is rice and beans with eggs - a typical tico breakfast)
chica: huevos revueltos o fritos?
me: revueltos (i looked this up before i went to the restaurant - it means scrambled). y un cafe
chica: con leche?
me: si.

coffee with milk!!?? you might be asking incredulously. i drink black coffee if you didn't know. and yes i am the highly suggestible type. in fact when i was in san jose my first night i had an empanada and a coffee from this little diner next to my hotel. and after she poured my coffee she got me a spoon, opened the sugar jar, and put the spoon in. so i dutifully scooped some sugar into my coffee and stirred.

when my food came i put some of the hot sauce that was on the table on my eggs. i don't know why. it's not something i normally do. it might have been because the side of the jar said (in english) "keep away from the hands of small children". i thought that was pretty amusing.

i went down to the beach and wandered through the market (but didn't buy anything) and then i sat by the water for a while. i don't know if i've mentioned, but the weather is FABULOUS. it's warm and it hasn't rained at all today (this is the tail end of the rainy season). this afternoon i went on a mission to find my apartment where i'll be staying during the course. tonight i'm thinking about making nachos.


2 comments:

venus523 said...

awwww yeah. the nachos were fabuloso. :) i even found sour cream!

Anonymous said...

Coffee with milk- you're living the wild life now! Can't wait to hear how your training goes!