Thursday, April 20, 2017

Everything changes and nothing stands still

So much has changed since my last post here, and yet so much is exactly the same.

I'm preparing to move to a new place to continue my journey as a teacher - Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.


If you had asked me a few months ago where I wanted to live, I would not have said Tanzania. Honestly, I probably would not have mentioned Africa at all. But life, circumstance, and a great school presented me with an intriguing opportunity that ultimately I could not say "no" to.

And so for the next few months I am preparing for this new chapter: moving to Africa.

So far my focus has been on deciding which parts of my past I want to take with me to my new home via photo enlargements and travel wall art. I printed and framed some of my best photos from the last ten years. I'm considering easy to pack posters that represent places I've been and the journey I've been on. Strangely, this is the first time I have really thought about creating a sense of "home" in a new place. I just have a good feeling about this next adventure.

I'm not convinced Tanzania will be where I ultimately "settle down", if a vagabond such as myself can do such a thing. But I do feel ready to create a life and be present in this new experience. My goal is to document some of that here, on this blog.

Join me this July as the journey begins.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm excited to go on this next adventure with you!

I think it's brilliant that you are using your own photography to both take bits and pieces of your past with you, as well as to create a sense of home in this new place you're going to experience.

I'm hoping your African "community" is already being formed, and that it's just waiting on you! Destiny