Saturday, July 08, 2017

T Minus 12 Days (or the joy of packing your whole life in a few suitcases)

My school in Tanzania offers a very generous shipping allowance, yet as far as I can tell shipping to Tanzania is not quite as simple as sending a parcel to Japan or any other place I have been. The biggest hassle seems to be that I would not be able to collect any shipments until I have a tax ID number- which could be October. I can't seem to get the full story on whether this means I will have to personally collect any future parcels from the port of Dar es Salaam as though it were a shipping crate or not. But all of that sounds like more trouble than it's worth for me, particularly since I'm not planning to bring any furniture or large art that would necessitate an actual crate being shipped. My needs are much smaller.

So the last few months I have been acquiring the things I think I'll need for my new life in Tanzania. Mostly they are miscellaneous personal effects - like climate appropriate clothes, an aromatherapy diffuser, and supplements - or things that are difficult or expensive to get in Dar - like sharp knives and bed sheets - or things that are somewhat unique to my future life in Tanzania - binoculars, a snorkel and mask, a solar powered lantern, and an SPF infused swim shirt.

Today I received my last Amazon package of supplies and as I look at the small mountain of items I've collected over the past few months I find myself wondering if I'll actually be able to fit it all in the suitcases I plan to bring... I try to assure myself that since it will be so warm, I won't have the kinds of heavy clothes and shoes that I packed for Japan. But I don't think I'm convinced just yet.

Perhaps you're thinking, why not try it out, do a test pack to see if it all fits while still remaining under the weight limit? An excellent idea. And yet... so not my style. Instead I'll continue to stare at my pile of things and visualize the additional items that I'll pack into my two large and two small suitcases. And then when less than 24 hours remain before my departure I'll begin hopefully shoving it all in the cases and see what happens.

Only 12 more days...

No comments: